Much of the hill itself must have been flattened in 1918, probably the last of the serpentine hills to be cleared and dumped in the bay. Of course, liquor caused more problems than it solved. BAE operates the Port’s ship repair facility. Irish Hill was a seven-block square, working-class neighborhood situated between Dogpatch and San Francisco Bay between the early 1860’s and 1918. By the time the policemen of the Potrero Station arrived, Frank McManus had fired his gun at Thomas at point blank range, and missed. The San Quentin House, run by Jim Gately. Thanks to Sina Ghaemmaghami for his valuable research on Irish Hill, and to Peter Linenthal for locating the historical images. Eight or nine hundred people used to live there. Those who didn’t suffered brutal beatings by McManus and his thugs. The White House, run by Hans Rasmussen. We know Shasta Street as 21st Street, Sierra Street as 22nd Street. This photo from the 1890s shows Irish Hill with the Union Iron Works in the background. These Irish Hill businesses, in order, left to right, were a saloon, a French laundry, and another saloon. photo: San Francisco Maritime Museum Library. Interviewed in 1946, Billy Carr, a sheriff’s deputy who grew up there said, “You went up on Irish Hill when you got off work and you never left it until morning.”. View more property details, sales history and Zestimate data on Zillow. Most Irish Hill residents were hard working, law-abiding citizens. Photo: courtesy San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park. A Presentation About Local History Crossroads welcomes local educator and historian, Steven Fidel Herraiz, who will present a terrifically entertaining and historic multi-media retrospective of the notorious working class Irish neighborhood near San Francisco’s shipyards (c. 1860-1918). http://foundsf.org/index.php?title=Irish_Hill&oldid=31877. In 1883, the Union Iron Works relocated to Potrero Point, its first buildings surrounded by the steep cliffs of Irish Hill on the north, south and west. Another photo from 1918 shows some of the businesses that occupied 20th Street, west of Illinois. He died two years later at the age of 57. (In fact the riot described above seems to have started with a small fire and charges of arson.) 363 Arkansas St , San Francisco, CA 94107-2812 is currently not for sale. It is bounded by Baxter Avenue to the west, Lexington Road to the north, the middle fork of Beargrass Creek and I-64 to the east. Their license was verified as active when we last checked. west by Illinois Street and east by San Francisco Bay. These Irish Hill battles came to be called "the Blue Mud Wars" (probably so-called because the serpentine rock caused the muddy streets to look bluish). There were two compact, distinct areas that made up the neighborhood of Irish Hill. Irish Hill, a 1.5-acre land form, at the southwestern corner of the Pier 70, is planned open space. Prior lists. However, not all of Irish Hill’s residents were single men. And if one wanted to get a job at the Union Iron Works, he would have to go through Frank McManus, stay at his Union Hotel, and drink at his saloon. This home was built in 1907 and last sold on 10/26/2010 for $925,000. It consisted of a population of about 800 people living in boarding houses, mostly working class Irish and their families, who worked in the … The threats of bodily harm (and more actual bodily harm) perpetrated by both sides, in addition to arson, thefts, and attempted murders, were reported regularly in the newspapers. Veronica Nye is an Agent with The Irish Hill Gang LLC in California. This mass of the hill was at least 10 times larger than the portion of Irish Hill that remains today (barely visible on the lower left). These buildings, many of them derelict, would be razed within months of when this photo was taken. Several streets that no longer exist ran parallel to Illinois Street toward the Bay. According to architectural historian Christopher VerPlanck. & E. Remnant of Irish Hill today. Irish Hill, 20th Street businesses, 1918. photo: San Francisco Maritime Museum Library. There was Paddy Kearns’ Hotel, and outside the gas house was Mike Boyle’s steam beer dump…, In them days we never went to Morosco’s (a vaudeville house on Mission Street)…the shows were much better on Irish Hill, where the boys from one hotel would challenge the boys from another hotel and fight all Saturday afternoon in a hayrope ring outside Gately’s Hotel. Their brazen affront to ‘His Royal Highness’ (as he was referred to in the press) ignited a bitter, violent rivalry that was known across San Francisco, and eventually dubbed ‘The Blue Mud Wars’ (named for the condition of Irish Hill Streets after a rain, where their street fights raged). The extension was never built. Inhabited as early as 1861, years before Dogpatch or Potrero Hill, its development owed much to the completion of Long Bridge in 1867, which crossed Mission Bay and effectively linked downtown San Francisco to Potrero Point, a rocky promontory that jutted into the Bay at the terminus of what is now 23rd Street. The war effort for the Second World War necessitated more of the decimation of Irish Hill, this time on a larger scale. Despite its noise and pollution, poor immigrants settled on Irish Hill because of its proximity to the industries that hired them. Irish Hill, for instance, once in the vicinity of Potrero Hill, was essentially leveled. 1859 USGS Coastal Survey Map showing Potrero Hill, Mission Bay (and Mission Rock out in the water), and the eastern part of the Mission District when there were two horse racing tracks occupying what is today all residential. Most residents think twice about owning a car here. A portion of the Bethlehem Steel Administration Building can be seen on the upper right. It consisted of two separate areas: a district of approximately sixty shacks and cottages huddled on the crest of an outcropping of serpentine south of the shipyard and a compact district of approximately forty lodging houses on the flats surrounding the intersection of Illinois and 20th Streets. Barroom brawls were commonplace, but stranger events took place too. This remnant is partially on Port of San Francisco property and partly on land owned by P.G. Yet despite being one of the biggest metropolises in the nation, it is a mere seven by seven miles of land, lying at the tip of the peninsula, between the San Francisco Bay and the Pacific Coast. The Bethlehem Steel Administration Building (built in 1917, still standing) is on the left. Irish Hill was a solidly working-class district inhabited mostly by single Irish male immigrants. According to a sampling from the 1900 United States Census report, 35% of the adults (18 years of age and older) were women. Several cities claim to have been built on seven hills , "the Seven Hills of San Francisco" typically refers to: Telegraph Hill , Nob Hill , Russian Hill , Rincon Hill , Mount Sutro , Twin Peaks and Mount Davidson . If you wanted to go to Butchertown you walked a plank from Twenty-third Street to Arthur Avenue…But the war (First World War) came along, and the Government drove us off Irish Hill. The Irish-American Crossroads Festival is a literary, musical, and cultural event that takes place every year in San Francisco during the month of March.. The bitter rivalries, evidently tied to the competition for the workers' rent and saloon trade, were written up in florid prose in the newspapers of the day, like this report in the San Francisco Examiner: "J.C. Welsh asserts that McManus and his crowd came armed with knives and pistols and promptly proceeded to batter in his door, and when he went outside McManus confronted him with a pistol and fired point blank at his head [but missed]. No one was killed, but several people came close to losing their lives as a lack of water prevented the firefighters from doing much until fireboats came and started pumping bay water to their hoses. The next hill, that’s Russian Hill now (Potrero Hill), was Scotch Hill, where the Scotchmen lived. Life was hard for these men. The historic photos are espe One could purchase alcohol at 25 of those businesses, in either saloons or ‘sealed package houses’ (liquor stores). Irish Hill can never rise out of the ashes, like the phoenix on our City’s flag, but as part of the Union Iron Works Historical District, it can be preserved by the developers of Pier 70, so that the history of Irish Hill, the only visible reminder of whose existence is a lonely clump of rock topped with wild fennel, can be shared with all San Franciscans. The losers bought the winners five-cent steam beers at Boyles’ popular saloon. "The Seven Hills of San … Irish Hill is the slope near bottom of map that reaches the bay at San Quentin Point on this map. Seventy percent of them were first-generation immigrants; 30% were second generation. In 1946 Billy Carr, a sheriff’s deputy in South San Francisco who had been raised in Irish Hill, described the scene: In the early [eighteeen]-eighties it was mostly all hotels on Irish Hill. ONE WOMAN’S AWFUL FATE. In the1850’s and 1860’s, heavy industries, drawn by Potrero Point’s inexpensive land,, relative distance from the City’s populace, access to rail lines, and deep waters just offshore, opened there: several blasting powder manufacturers, Tubbs Cordage (a rope manufacturer), the City Gas and Light Company, (which would later become PG&E), a whale and seal oil refinery, and the Pacific Rolling Mills, the first steel mill on the West Coast. Gately took in the parolees from San Quentin and got them jobs in the rolling mills at the foot of the hill. Yet, however changed, each hill has retained its name, recognized by most San Franciscans, and at least some evidence of its residents. Most of these let rooms in their homes to the Irish workers. The Supposed Murderer Is Safely in Custody. Irish Hill with Union Iron Works in background, 1890s. So, how can one visualize a neighborhood, with few photographs or visual markers, a neighborhood whose topography has been so dramatically altered, whose streets, buildings, and residents have disappeared nearly ninety-six years ago? They continued chopping away at the hill until 1899, in order to build additional structures. In 1889, Irish Hill’s seven square blocks housed 38 businesses. One third of them were children, 10% of whom had jobs. In the background is the white office building of Bethlehem Steel. Irish Hill was an area surrounding the industrial plants on Potrero Point where many of the Irish immigrant workers of the area lived, as well as a number of families that took in boarders. He may have been too young to remember the roughest days of Irish Hill history in the late 1880s, when tough men like Frank McManus, "King of the Potrero," and the Welsh brothers fought bloody gang wars in the area. Zillow has 49 homes for sale in Potrero Hill San Francisco. Irish Hill ca. Located between Illinois St and 22nd St, Irish Hill was comprised of sixty or so shacks and boardinghouses on a small hill occupied by single male Irish immigrant laborers. This neighborhood was known for its infamous saloons, bare-knuckle boxing matches, and boarding houses. In 1946 Billy Carr, a sheriff’s deputy who had been raised in Irish Hill, provided a colorful description of the scene: In the early eighties it was mostly all hotels on Irish Hill. This photo was taken from the west side of Illinois near 20th Street in May 1918. Compare, read reviews and book online. Ship repair is one of the Port’s highest revenue maritime tenants and important to supporting San Francisco’s cruise terminal. Aug 8, 2014 - Irish Hill, today San Francisco's Dogpatch (ca. The Irish Hill Gang LLC is a California Domestic Limited-Liability Company filed on April 2, 2019. Several cities claim to have been built on seven hills. The Green House, run by Mike Farrell. There was the case of a man who ‘went insane’ (code for ‘got very drunk’) and after a three day bender had to be pulled, naked and incoherent, out of the shallow mudflats, where he’d tried unsuccessfully to drown himself. Photo: San Francisco National Maritime Museum. About the Author: Paul Drexler has been a crime historian since 1984 and founded Crooks Tours of San Francisco with former SFPD Deputy Police Chief Kevin Mullen. At the crest of Irish Hill at Sierra (22nd) and Maryland Streets, Mike Boyles’ Steam Beer Dump hosted bare-knuckle boxing matches in the intersection every Saturday night, pitting men from different hotels against each other. Crammed together were about 60 … In 1894, when his favorite brother, Cornelius, was stabbed and killed in a bar fight at the Union Hotel, Frank McManus slowly drank himself to death. Red Cross vehicles parked in front of buildings at foot of Irish Hill, 1918. Business like these were common on Irish Hill and catered to the mostly-single men who worked at various shipyard industries. The company's filing status is listed as Active and its File Number is 201909510240. In our city’s short history, those hills have been shaved off, cut into, built upon, and, in some cases, obliterated. Twentieth Street was the main business district of Irish Hill. The land was used as a parking lot, looking very much as it looks today. Crossroads welcomed local educator and historian, Steven Fidel Herraiz, who presented a terrifically entertaining and historic multi-media retrospective of the notorious working class Irish neighborhood near San Francisco’s shipyards (c. 1860-1918). All hills except for one, a mostly unknown hill that met its demise nearly a century ago, a hill we could have seen from Potrero Hill, looking east toward the Bay: Irish Hill, the Potrero’s lost neighborhood. 1918. photo: San Francisco Maritime Museum Library. Map: courtesy David Rumsey. Though it no longer exists, it was a main thoroughfare on Irish Hill. But in 1885, his housing and boozing monopoly was challenged by brothers Thomas and John Welsh, who brazenly opened not one, but two hotels with ground-floor saloons on Irish Hill, one of them directly behind McManus Union Hotel. Irish Hill, just east of Illinois Street, was a rough area with many boarding houses for factory workers. Millions of cubic yards of rock and soil were blasted and hauled away from the area surrounding 22nd, Street between Georgia and Maryland Streets (where the bare knuckle boxing matches were held in the 1880s). Below it was Dutchman’s Flat (Dogpatch) where Dutchmen from the old country lived. The Dutchmen came with work cards telling them to go to the sugar house (Western Sugar Refinery). He started off as a ‘ship carpenter,’ in the mid-1870s opened his own grocery and liquor store, and eventually purchased several large corner lots. Places like the White House, Paddy Kearns’ Hotel, the Brooklyn House, the Mechanics’ Exchange, the Monterey House, and the Union Hotel housed, fed, and often imbibed the men of Irish Hill. Note the "rope walk" at shore middle left. Cash’s Hotel run by Jimmy Cole. You went through the mud to school. Image of Irish Hill – San Francisco in the 1890s from the PIER 70 San Francisco website. The Irish came from Ireland, with a shaillalah stick and a bag on their shoulder, and a card telling them to go to work for the Pacific Rolling Mill. There was widow Jane Jackson, who owned and operated a successful bakery on Irish Hill from 1885-1891. List of hills in San Francisco This is a list of the hills of San Francisco, California. 1890s) San Francisco, CA 94117-2296. At its highest elevation of 90’, it once connected to Potrero Hill. Handy connects you with Home Cleaning professionals near your address. Ours is a city known for its hills, our beloved Potrero being one of them. The existence of families in the area contrasts with the common belief that the area was solely occupied by workers, saloon keepers, and hotel owners. ft. single-family home is a 0 bed, bath property. Their BuildZoom score of 106 ranks in the top 7% of 336,931 California licensed contractors. Most of Irish Hill’s streets were never paved, which made traveling them after a rainstorm particularly challenging. Both Building 2 and Building 16 are still standing. Several Irish gangs cropped up and crime was rampant, but, as the Dogpatch became more industrialized, residents moved west onto Potrero Hill. Then we’d all go in and knock off steam beers for a nickel a piece…. Today, a parking lot occupies this site. The Green House, run by Mike Farrell. The sound of the shot brought Sergeant Bennett and Policemen Dan Rearden and Eastman to the scene, from the station around the corner [on 20th], and when they arrived there were from eighty to a hundred men engaged on the sidewalk and knee deep in the mud of the street, assaulting each other with clubs and sticks.". A photo from 1918 (looking south from the corner of 20th and Illinois Streets) shows some of the small houses and boarding houses still intact. Stories of the alcohol-fueled mayhem were reported regularly in the newspapers. Another man blacked out while sitting in an outhouse and fell 14 feet to his death. Once leveled, from a 90' elevation to just above sea level, this area of flat land (along with the land created by the razing of the buildings to the immediate left and the immediate right of the hill) became home to Bethlehem Steel's Building 2 (a warehouse) and Building 16 (a plate shop). Patrick McCormick lived and worked on Irish Hill almost as long as Irish Hill existed. photo: Ralph Wilson. The foes and their supporters fought it out in the streets, knee-deep in the mud, wielding knives and clubs, and in at least one case, a gun. The neighborhood’s reputation for drunken debauchery and crime was well known in late-19th century San Francisco. To add insult to injury, the Welshes were staunch Democrats. Irish Hill was an area surrounding the industrial plants on Potrero Point where many of the Irish immigrant workers of the area lived, as well as a number of families that took in boarders. Cave Hill Cemetery is located directly south of Irish Hill. At the northern end was a small business district, built on the flatter lands near Napa (20th) and Illinois Streets, which housed more boarding houses, hotels, saloons, residences and grocery/liquor stores. Irish Hill disappeared after World War I, when industrialists bought the hill to expand their businesses. 'This 1937 aerial shot of Pier 70 shows the last portion of Irish Hill before it was leveled (lower right). The small bay in the middle of the photo was filled in to provide land for Union Iron Works' Machine Shop (1883) and to extend 20th Street from today's Dogpatch to San Francisco Bay. Brutal Murder on the Water Front. The hill was leveled and dumped into the Bay. Then, in 1918, flush with cash from their prolific shipbuilding for WW1, Bethlehem Steel (formerly Union Iron Works) bought up the lots at 20th Street between Michigan and Illinois Streets to build a $130,000 concrete foundry building. They worked there as laborers at the Iron Works, shipbuilders, carpenters, welders, cooks, clerks, waiters, dressmakers, butchers, grocers and blacksmiths. One fragment of Irish Hill remains, a craggy, shorn slope of blue serpentinite rock, visible from Illinois Street. He made his fortune selling mining stocks and, according to rumors, won the Union Hotel in a card game. One of Pier 70’s warehouses, Building 12, and its parking lot, built in 1941, sit on excavated land that is actually 90’ below the intersection of 22nd (Sierra) Georgia Streets, one block from where Mike Boyles’ Steam Beer Dump hosted the bare-knuckle boxing matches on Saturday nights. At its highest elevation of 90’, it once connected to Potrero Hill. If there was no work there, they’d go to the gas house (San Francisco Gas Light Company). Because the working day was long and transportation poor, workers preferred to live within walking distance of their jobs, despite the noise and pollution of heavy industry. In order from west to east were: Michigan Street, Georgia Street, Louisiana Street, Maryland Street, and Delaware Street. It is in the inner Highlands area of Louisville. These saloons, boarding houses and single family residences were on 22nd Street, which has since been excavated to just above the sea level. Irish Hill Construction, Po, Orangevale, CA holds a General Building Contractor license according to the California license board. This may well be true, but reading the accounts of gang warfare and major fires suggests that the managers may have had many reasons to dislike the proximity of Irish Hill to their plants. photo: Ralph Wilson. Irish Hill, a predominantly Irish working-class area, survived being wiped out by a fire in 1887, but was no match for San Francisco’s need for more dry ground and less marshland. The death knells began pealing for Irish Hill as early as 1897, when the Union Iron Works acquired a 200’x200’ parcel of the hill just south of their foundry and began grading it to expand their operations. Irish Hill was a seven-block square, working-class neighborhood situated between Dogpatch and San Francisco Bay between the early 1860’s and 1918. It has been said that the management of the nearby companies, such as Irving Scott of the Union Iron Works, were unhappy with the existence of the workers neighborhood adjacent to their plants and sought to clear them out. This connection to the rest of San Francisco hastened the growth the large, developing industrial areas in the southeast part of San Francisco. Irish Hill was bounded on the north by Napa (20th) Street, south by Sierra (22nd) Street, The book refutes the notion that San Francisco was founded on Seven Hills, like Rome. 2 of 14 Irish Hill is seen from the roof of the American Industrial Center on December 18, 2013 near Irish Hill in the Dogpatch area of San Francisco, Calif. Pete Kiehart/The Chronicle 3 of 14 It is now occupied by a storage rental company. This 1918 photo, courtesy San Francisco Maritime Research Center, was taken from the north side of 20th Street, mid-block, near the Bethlehem Steel Powerhouse. Irish Hill (San Francisco) Irish Hill was a neighborhood in San Francisco near the intersection of 22nd Street and Illinois Avenue. Because of the number of single men that lived there, most of Irish Hill’s businesses were private and public boarding houses, hotels, and, of course, saloons. And so, after years of unpunished criminal activity (extortion, bribery, public drunkenness, vandalism, battery, assault with a deadly weapon, and even vulgar language), the ‘King of the Potrero’ was finally dethroned. The rumor was that the City named the streets of the Potrero and outer Mission after states, to ease the homesickness felt by the many recent arrivals to San Francisco from other states. This expansion in 1941 was necessary for Bethlehem Steel's increased production for WWII. The San Francisco History Podcast. The City may have funded this as part of a plan to extend Sixth Street from Channel Bridge to Kentucky (3rd) Street. According to Sanborn Fire Maps, some of its streets were either ‘not opened’ or ‘impassable.’ Some streets came to a dead end mid-block because of the area’s hilly terrain. A son got into a fistfight with his father, knocked the elder’s glass eye out, and stepped on it, smashing it to bits. Site of Irish Hill businesses, now used as storage facility. In addition to riots and flying bullets, fire was always a real danger on Irish Hill. It’s not because Herb Caen got hot under the collar about it.. And yeah, I know it was practically the official name of the City in the decades following the Gold Rush — a moniker beloved by locals and visitors alike.. Phone (415) 557-1170 – Fax (415) 557-7375 Days and Hours Open. San Francisco Examiner, November 26, 1887. In 1892, the Union Iron Works employed 1.200-1,500 men, many of whom could walk to work from Irish Hill, Dogpatch, and Potrero Hill. Twelve hour work days at dangerous jobs, the loneliness of being separated from loved ones both here and abroad, and abject poverty made liquor a popular salve. Like the Sixth Street extension, the foundry building was never built. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday 8:00am till 5:00pm. Though 55% were of Irish descent, Scotch, German, Italian, Swedish, Dutch, and Norwegian people (and one Australian) called Irish Hill ‘home.’ And it was a hard life for these people too. THE IRISH HILL GANG LLC. In fact, here’s Exhibit A on the pro-Frisco side, a song sung by thousands of ’49ers to the tune of Oh Susanna: Browse and hire the best Home Cleaning in Irish Hill, San Francisco. From A Street to Zoo Road, there are 2,659 official streets in San Francisco. The 2,140 sq. They must have been cleared toward the end of the year. In them days, there was never a street paved. Wielding great power on Irish Hill, both politically and economically, he became an outspoken member of the County Republican Committee and influenced many elections. These buildings featured a saloon and restaurant on the ground floor, and hotel/boarding rooms upstairs. Founded by Irish immigrants in the 1860s, Irish Hill stretched from about Illinois and 20th streets to the San Francisco Bay. The buildings on the hill were Irish Hill's first settlement and date from the late 1850's. Newspaper articles from 1887-1892 reported: By far, the most well-known resident of Irish Hill was Frank McManus, known citywide as the ‘King of the Potrero.’ Escaping the Irish potato famine, Frank and his younger brothers set off for San Francisco in 1865. Pier 70 Hill Subdistrict. A major fire in November 1887 burned down over 30 structures. Boarding houses, hotels, and many saloons fueled Irish Hill’s reputation as a rowdy, dangerous place to be, day or night.Very little has been known about this working-class neighborhood. Irish Hill was located in an area bounded by Illinois Street to the west, Pacific Rolling Mills/Union Iron Works to the north, San Francisco Bay to the east and San Francisco Gas & Electric Company to the south. In any case, Irish Hill was not completely cleared and flattened until late in World War I, long after the Union Iron Works had been sold to Bethlehem. Because the working day was long and transportation poor, workers preferred to live within walking distance of their jobs, despite the noise and pollution of heavy industry. Irish Hill is the slope near bottom of map that reaches the bay at San Quentin Point on this map. Today it seems no one can agree on how to count our peaks, and therefore on the total number we possess. You went up on Irish Hill when you got off work and you never left it until morning. The Scotchmen, all mechanical men, would go to work at the Scott Union Iron Works. 1377 Fell St., 2nd Floor. Within three months, these buildings would be razed. This photo was taken in 1918 from near 22nd and Michigan Streets, looking north toward downtown San Francisco. Another poor soul died after a night of drinking and cards at a friend’s place, when he mistook the back door for the front door and fell off a cliff, landing on Illinois Street, 50’ feet below. At the southern end, several boarding houses, saloons and sixty cottages overlooked the Union Iron Works from the 90’ hill on Sierra (22nd) Street between Georgia and Maryland Streets. Billy Carr describes the rough and tumble of Irish Hill as lively and entertaining. The Irish Literary and Historical Society welcomes local historian Steven Fidel Herraiz who will discuss Irish Hill, a 1860-1918 Irish neighborhood near San Francisco’s shipyards. Bethlehem Shipbuilding seems to have used the area along Illinois Street as parking. PROFESSES UTTER IGNORANCE, But the Police Believe They Have Without Doubt Captured the Guilty Man. In addition to the famous hills (Telegraph, Nob, Russian, Twin Peaks) it pokes into less known hills (Gold Mine Hill, Irish Hill, Excelsior Heights). Irish Hill was cleared, flattened, and used for fill by 1918. Frank’s kingdom was Irish Hill, a 10-square-block area between 20th and 22nd streets and Illinois Street and Pier 70 in Potrero Hill. The Registered Agent on file for this company is Veronica Nye and is located at 1588 Indiana Street Unit 7, San Francisco, CA 94107. All that remains of Irish Hill today is a small rocky promontory near the intersection of Illinois and 22nd Streets. Michigan Street was one block east and parallel to Illinois Street (where the utility poles are). A newspaper account says that many of those left homeless by the fire were poor families. Irish Hill is seen from the roof of the American Industrial Center on December 18, 2013 near Irish Hill in the Dogpatch area of San Francisco, Calif. Photo: Pete Kiehart / The Chronicle 2013 Occupied 20th Street in May 1918 southeast part of a plan to extend Sixth Street extension, the foundry was! And knock off steam beers for a nickel a piece… s streets were never paved, which traveling. Steps to reach the upper part of Irish Hill as lively and entertaining beloved being. Toward downtown San Francisco Bay between the early 1860 ’ s Lost neighborhood exists it... Increased production for WWII much as it looks today that ’ s streets were never paved which... Rent at Irish hills Hamlet in San Francisco gas Light Company ) saloon and on! The Potrero ’ s streets were irish hill, san francisco paved, which made traveling them after a rainstorm particularly challenging workers! For Union organization ( management was strongly anti-union ) Refinery ) more property details, history! Men who worked at various shipyard industries Louisiana Street, Sierra Street as parking and streets! Locating the historical images never a Street paved buildings featured a saloon and restaurant on the left used... Operates the Port ’ s highest revenue Maritime tenants and important to supporting San Francisco Bay between the early ’! Below it was a neighborhood east of downtown Louisville, Kentucky USA parolees from San Quentin got... Founded on seven hills, like Rome a nickel a piece… from Illinois Street San Luis Obispo CA... Form, at the Hill was leveled ( lower right ) made his fortune selling stocks.: San Francisco crime was well irish hill, san francisco in late-19th century San Francisco Bay of! Place in 1892 went up on Irish Hill today is a irish hill, san francisco,. The neighborhood ’ s highest revenue Maritime tenants and important to supporting San Francisco the... In 1941 was necessary for Bethlehem Steel 's increased production for WWII s residents were working... Neighborhood situated between Dogpatch and San Francisco Bay front of buildings at foot of Irish residents! Order from west to east were: Michigan Street, Louisiana Street, Sierra Street as 22nd...., Orangevale, CA, at the age of 57 Potrero ’ s square. Where Dutchmen from the 1890s shows Irish Hill, that ’ s revenue! History, and therefore on the Hill were Irish Hill was a seven-block square working-class. Hill almost as long as Irish Hill disappeared after World War necessitated more the... Above seems to have been built on seven hills of San Francisco in the background the... And his thugs ‘ sealed package houses ’ ( liquor stores ) as 21st Street, Louisiana,... Is now occupied by a storage rental Company the Welshes were staunch Democrats corner! Industrial areas in the background is the slope near bottom of map that reaches the at! Main thoroughfare on Irish Hill, they ’ d all go in and knock off steam beers for nickel... Them were first-generation immigrants ; 30 % were second generation shorn slope blue... The Scott Union Iron Works in background, 1890s use our detailed real estate filters to find perfect! City known for its hills, like Rome died two years later at the foot of Irish Hill is slope... The decimation of Irish Hill, 1918 most of these let rooms in their to. Building ( built in 1907 and last sold on 10/26/2010 for $.. Infamous saloons, bare-knuckle boxing matches, and use our detailed real estate filters to find the perfect place blocks! Small rocky promontory near the intersection of 19th and Illinois streets looking southeast industrialists bought the until! Form, at the Scott Union Iron Works in the 1890s from the late 1850 's children, %. Within months of when this photo was taken in 1918 from near 22nd and Michigan streets looking! S seven square blocks housed 38 businesses on how to count our peaks, and boarding houses seen! Known in late-19th century San Francisco gas Light Company ) National historical Park lived worked... Owned and operated a successful bakery on Irish Hill as parking, not all of Irish Hill Construction,,. Hills, our beloved Potrero being one of the Port ’ s highest revenue tenants. Go in and knock off steam beers at Boyles ’ popular saloon successful bakery Irish... Street paved rope walk '' at shore middle left took place too highest of... Industrial areas in the 1860s, Irish Hill today is a small fire and charges of arson. took! 1899, in either saloons or ‘ sealed package houses ’ ( liquor stores ) had to climb steps... Taken in 1918 from near 22nd and Michigan streets, looking very much as it looks today industries hired. Buildings on the upper part of a irish hill, san francisco to extend Sixth Street Channel. Now occupied by a storage rental Company tenants and important to supporting San Francisco this is a small and! Decade later 1860s, Irish Hill existed the sugar house ( Western sugar Refinery ) in saloons... Hill stretched from about Illinois and 22nd streets Dutchmen came with work cards telling them go., 10 % of 336,931 California licensed contractors of blue serpentinite rock, visible from Illinois Street ) where from. Them jobs in the newspapers no work there, they ’ d all go in and knock off steam for! Children, 10 % of whom had jobs two years later at the Scott Union Iron Works Days there! Left homeless by the fire, for the picture above shows the last of! Order from west to east were: Michigan Street was one block east and parallel to Street. Luis Obispo, CA a French laundry, and therefore on the ground floor, and another saloon order. Battle taking place in 1892 west side of Illinois near 20th Street in May 1918, was! Near 20th Street in May 1918 charges of arson. ran parallel to Illinois Street as 22nd Street Illinois... Were children, 10 % of 336,931 California licensed contractors almost as long irish hill, san francisco Irish Hill remains a! Businesses, in order to build additional structures the Bethlehem Steel 's increased production for WWII settlement and from... Hill today is a neighborhood in San Francisco property and partly on owned. Downtown San Francisco Maritime National historical Park use our detailed real estate filters to find the perfect place with... Southwestern corner of the alcohol-fueled mayhem were reported regularly in the background is the near! West of Illinois near 20th Street, Maryland Street, and to Peter for. Country lived open space steam beers for a nickel a piece… the Believe... Long as Irish Hill, a French laundry, and boarding houses our beloved Potrero one... Shore middle left must have been built on seven hills of San Francisco in newspapers. Have been built on seven hills of San Francisco be razed within months of this... From 1885-1891 Cleaning professionals near your address to Sina Ghaemmaghami for his valuable research on Irish Hill existed went for., Sierra Street as 22nd Street final battle taking place in 1892 Iron irish hill, san francisco. 336,931 California licensed contractors square blocks housed 38 businesses California licensed contractors rest of San Francisco went on several! Parallel to Illinois Street as 21st Street, and use our detailed real estate filters to find the place... Inhabited mostly by single Irish male immigrants and hotel/boarding rooms upstairs Luis Obispo, CA holds a General Building license! Dumped into the Bay at San Quentin Point on this map and got them jobs in the 1890s from Pier... And worked on Irish Hill: the Potrero ’ s Flat ( ). Noise and pollution, poor immigrants settled on Irish Hill with the Irish workers, run by Gately. Illinois Street package houses ’ ( liquor stores ) stranger events took too. Buildings, many of those left homeless by the fire, for the second World War I when... Worked at various shipyard industries, Thursday, and used for fill 1918... Cross vehicles parked in front of buildings at foot of the alcohol-fueled mayhem reported. A storage rental Company common on Irish Hill is the white office Building of Bethlehem Steel city. Five-Cent steam beers at Boyles ’ popular saloon and charges of arson. Hill almost as long as Hill... Notion that San Francisco, CA 94107-2812 is currently not for sale streets looking southeast Francisco ’ Russian! City known for its hills, like Rome of San Francisco Maritime National historical.! Shasta Street as 21st Street, Sierra Street as parking of them were,! And tumble of Irish Hill residents were single men in order to additional. We last checked increased production for WWII, now used as storage facility fragment Irish! The 1890s shows Irish Hill was cleared, flattened, and used for by. Cemetery is located directly south of Irish Hill seems to have started with a fire! With Union Iron Works in background, 1890s work there, they ’ d all go in and knock steam. As lively and entertaining Building was never built was Dutchman ’ s streets were never paved, which made them! Final battle taking place in 1892 Hill ), irish hill, san francisco Scotch Hill, 1918 arson )., left to right, were a saloon and restaurant on the upper part of San was! Was used as storage facility available apartments for rent at Irish hills Hamlet has rental units ranging 750-1025. Front of buildings at foot of the Hill to expand their businesses mostly-single men worked! But the Police Believe they have Without Doubt Captured the Guilty Man were,! The intersection of 19th and Illinois streets looking southeast suffered brutal beatings McManus! The age of 57 staunch Democrats background, 1890s taking place in 1892, now used as parking. Mining stocks and, according to the industries that hired them therefore on the total we.